Sunday, January 9, 2011

Facing Down Fear

As someone who is quite afraid of spiders, I'm including a warning for today's photo. The image you are about to view is that of a spider! I believe that it's actually a St Andrew's Cross (harmless and quite pretty), but it's nice to know what you're getting yourself into.


A St Andrew's Cross spider (I think) hangs on his web:


I snapped this photo in an attempt to face my fear of spiders. The spider hung in its web just outside the mental health clinic I was attending at the time, and I was able to get quite a few shots of him from further back. Eventually I got brave enough to get a little closer and got this one! In the whole time the spider didn't even move... which is probably lucky, as I would otherwise have run, screaming.

3 comments:

  1. Knowing nothing about photography, it is hard for me to make any kind of technical comment, but I do think the juxtaposition of the fragile web and the freakishly spiny-looking spider (eesh!) is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I don't like spiders either but I don't think I've seen one like this before. I like the way your background is out of focus [depthe of field?] and you have those little light spots that have a name that I've forgotten. Nice shot and I don't think I would have got that close. I get goosebumps when I am near spiders.
    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fern: You don't need to make a technical comment, not ever! And you certainly don't have to know anything about photography to comment, or to know what you like to see in a photo. Thank you for sharing what worked for you about the shot. That's what I like to know. :)

    Sarah: Really? Oh, goodness, they're everywhere down here! We have a couple around the house, which scares me a bit, but they're harmless and not at all aggressive. I think you're right about an out of focus background being depth of field, but I'm not positive. No idea on the official name of the little light spots, though, I didn't even know they had one!

    ReplyDelete