Thursday, October 28, 2010

Shatter

Last year I entered a cropped version of today's photo (which I, unfortunately, apparently neglected to save!) in a photography competition for the Welfare Rights Centre. I entered mainly for the practice, I certainly didn't expect anything to come of it - so when I got the call telling me I was a winner, I almost keeled over in shock. Just as exciting, I gave permission for my photograph to be included in a book/booklet they were bringing out. I received my free copy of Scene And Unseen today, so I suppose that makes me a published photographer? Ha!

A shard of glass under the bus shelter in Logan Central:


"In low income area Logan Central, glass shards litter the streets. These are both a literal and figurative representative of the effect of alcohol abuse and poor mental health" was the tag-line that tied this photo to the issue of homelessness. Getting this shot involved lying down under the seat at the bus shelter with my camera set to macro, colours on sepia.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for winning, you should be really proud of yourself. I have been known to lay on the ground to get that perfect shot myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) I won the competition a year ago, but the book was only produced this year. Still exciting!

    I think being prepared to get into uncomfortable or unusual positions is pretty important for photographers!

    ReplyDelete