Sunday, December 19, 2010

Night Lights

It's been a busy day! We celebrated my niece's birthday early as it falls on December 24th and she'll be with her mother (plus that whole, "it's right on top of Christmas" thing); so that meant heading up to my brother's place -- and, wouldn't you know it, it bucketed down today!

Lights on the Noosa river in Noosaville:


After a day spent having fun, my English friend and I went for a walk along the Noosa River so I could practice taking some night time shots. In between a couple of failed experiments (including one where I laid my tripod down and took unsuccessful photos outside the railing), I snapped this one of a couple of boats in the darkness. I was using the night setting, a two second timer and my camera on its tripod to minimise camera shake. This seems to be my best bet re camera shake, as an external button isn't available for my model (boo!) and anything less than this tends to result in very blurred images.

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried a night shot myself, I should one day but I always worry that I won't be able to do it. I have an awesome tripod, so I should try it out. Glad you got the photo that you were trying for!
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give it a shot, Sairs! A sturdy tripod will help a lot! Plus if you try and it doesn't work, what've you lost, really? It took me a while to hit on the right combination to get a night shot that didn't blur horribly, and more of mine don't work than do, but getting one every now and then that does is so worth the trying for it! :)

    ReplyDelete